Sessions L. Adams, born in 1854 in Canterbury, is a son of Jabez and Jane (Lester) Adams. He came to Plainfield to live with his uncle, “Major” Lester. He was educated at Wauregan district school, then at Danielsonville high school about two years and a half, under L. T. Brown, then at North Glastenbury, Conn., three years. He was selectman in 1882, and in June, 1885, he was appointed to the offices of town clerk and treasurer, to fill a vacancy, and in October following was elected to the same offices, which he has filled since that time. He was elected in 1888 as representative in the general assembly. ” Major” Lester died in 1882, and since that time Mr. Adams has had charge of the farm, living with Mrs. Lester. He is a republican, and a member of the A. O. U. W., No. 22.

John H. Arthur, son of Michael Arthur, was born in 1862, in Woodstock. He was married in 1888 to Mary A., daughter of James S. Anderson, who lived in Plainfield about thirty years prior to his death, which occurred in February, 1887. He had two daughters, Mary A., now Mrs. John H. Arthur, and Martha J. Mr. Arthur is a democrat.

Edward E. Ashley, born in 1848, is a son of Gilbert and grandson of Luther Ashley. His mother was Frances E., daughter of Alfred A. Drown. Mr. Ashley came to Plainfield in 1876, and since 1878 has been clerk for J. P. Kingsley & Sons, and also express agent at Plainfield Junction. He was married in 1872 to Ellen Wood. She died in June, 1882, leaving two children, Susie F. and Alfred D. He was married again in 1884 to Frances Starkweather. He is a republican.

Isaac J. Baldwin is a son of Isaac, grandson of Rufus and great-grandson of Isaac, Sr., whose father, John, was a son of Benjamin Baldwin, who came to Canterbury in or about 1705. He was a son of Henry Baldwin. Mr. Baldwin has spent the most of his time for the past twenty years in the West. He was married in 1863 to Mary A., daughter of Roswell Ensworth. She died in 1868. He is a republican.

Charles E. Barber, born in 1848 in Exeter, is a son of George, grandson of Ellery, and great-grandson of Reynolds Barber. Mr. Barber is a tinsmith by trade, was clerk and tinsmith in the Central Hardware store about twelve years prior to 1880, and at that time bought the business of Mr. Dean. He has since enlarged the building, putting a hall on the second floor. He now keeps a full line of hardware and stoves. He has held some of the town offices as a republican. He is a member of Moosup Lodge, No. 113, F. and A. M., and a member of Protection Lodge, No. 19, I. O. of O. F.

Lucius Battey was born in 1836 in Burrillville, R. I. He is a son of Levi, grandson of John and great-grandson of Benjamin Battey. His mother was Roxanna, daughter of Peleg Kelley. Mr. Battey lived in Rhode Island until he was sixteen years old. From there he went to Massachusetts, and in 1858 came to Moosup. He was a clerk for E. E. Hill for a time, then went into partnership with Mr. Hill in the store. In 1872 he sold out his interest to Mason W. Hale. In the same year he built the building here which he used as a store and residence from 1876 to 1886. In 1886 he sold the store business to E. E. Salisbury. He still owns the building and uses the second story as a residence. He was married in 1860 to Matilda Daggett, daughter of Rufus Daggett. They have two children-Elmer E., and Ida, who died in 1883, aged 13 years. Mr. Battey was in a store at Central Village four years from 1872 to 1876. ‘He is a republican, has been selectman one year, and was postmaster at Moosup about ten years.

Emily Bennett was born in August, 1811, in Hanover, Conn. She is a daughter of Edward Morgan, and granddaughter of William Morgan. She was married in August, 1831, to Stephen Bennett. They had eight children: Stephen N., David C. (deceased), Olive E. (now Mrs. D. Herrick), and five others, deceased, whose names were: George C., Edwin D., Joseph L., Loren W. and Benjamin. Mrs. Bennett’s husband was born in 1793, and died in June, 1878. He was in the war of 1812. His wife now draws a pension.

Stephen N. Bennett was born in 1.832 in Plainfield. He is a son of Stephen, Jr., and grandson of Stephen, whose father John came from England, settled in Griswold, Conn., and later went to Wilkesbarre, Pa. He owned a large part of the land where the city of Wilkesbarre now stands. Stephen was the youngest son of John. He served seven years in the war of the revolution. Stephen, Jr., was in the war of 1812, about eight months. Stephen IV. now owns the farms of, 250 acres where his father and grandfather lived. He has a trout pond of one acre, and is adding another acre. He has been justice of the peace two years and selectman three terms. He was in California the most of the time from 1852 to 186,1. He is one of the directors of the Windham County National Bank. He built his trout pond in the spring of 1884, and the house where he now lives in 1885.

Caleb Bishop, born in 1837, in Lisbon, is a son of Elias, grandson of Caleb, and great-grandson of Reuben and Hannah Bishop. His mother was Lydia, daughter of Lee Hyde. Mr. Bishop is a farmer. He came to Plainfield from Lisbon in 1864, and bought what was originally the Woodward homestead in the south part of the town. He served in the war of the rebellion about one year in Company F., 26th Connecticut volunteers. He was married in 1864 to -Mary E., daughter of Nelson Tyler. They have had four children: Mary J., who died aged 8 years, Nellie C., Fannie L., and William T. He has been selectman five years as a republican. He is a member of Jewett City church.

Andrew J. Bitgood was born in 1845 in Voluntown, Conn., son of Elisha Bitgood. He taught school some when a young man. He was brought up a farmer and in 1876 he began the lumber business. In 1878 he bought a portable saw mill, and does some custom work, but mostly manufacturing lumber for himself for market. He represented the town of Voluntown in the legislature in 1877-8, and held some of the town offices there. He was married in 1875 to Victoria, daughter of Benjamin M. Burdick. They have one daughter, Grace E. Mr. Bitgood is a democrat.

George R. Bliven, born in 1845, in Windham, Conn., is a son of John H., and grandson of Pardon Bliven. His mother was Emily A., daughter of Thomas Bingham. Mr. Bliven served in the war of the rebellion in Company H, 18th Connecticut volunteers, from June, 1862, to July, 1865. In 1865 he began to learn the blacksmith trade, and came to Central Village in 1876, where he has worked at his trade since that time. In 1884 he built a residence on a farm of 65 acres which he bought in 1881. He was married in 1869 to Lydia M., daughter of Stanton Baldwin. They had two children: Mabel, and S. Ray, both deceased. They have an adopted son, Bernard D. Bliven. Mr. Bliven is. a republican, a member of Moosup Lodge, No. 113, F. & A. M., and of Kilburn Post, No. 77, G. A. R.

Benjamin R. Briggs was born in 1850, in Scituate. R. I. He is a son of Bradford T., whose father, James, was a son of Joseph Briggs, who was a revolutionary soldier. His mother is Celia (Ramsdale) Briggs. Mr. Briggs worked about six years .at the harness maker’s trade in Rhode Island, and in April, 1880, came to Plainfield to take charge of the town farm, which he did for two years.. He built a residence in Plainfield village in 1884, and worked at his trade until 1888, when he bought a farm of 250 acres between Plainfield and Central Village, and has since been engaged in farming. He was married in 1871 to Nellie E., daughter of John R. and Hattie (Bitgood) Briggs. They have two children: Walter B. and Bertha R. He is a member of Ionic Lodge, No. 28, F. and A. Al., of Rhode Island.

George W. Brown was born in 1830, in Rhode Island. He was a son of James and Abbie (Wilcox) Brown. He was a ship carpenter for several years prior to 1860, then was a farmer in Hopkinton, R. I., until 1874, when he bought the farm where his widow now lives, of 130 acres. He was married in 1859 to Martha J., daughter of Theophilus R. Bromley. Her mother was Mary Spalding, a daughter of Asa Spalding. They have had seven children: Everett E.. who is married and lives in Virginia; Henry B., Lucy J., who died aged six years; Wendell P., Horace G., Mary A., and Fannie E. Dr. Brown was a member of- Hopkinton Seventh Day Baptist church and a republican.

Welcome H. Browning was born in 1834, in Griswold, Conn. His father, Ephraim, was a son of Hazard, and grandson of Ephraim Browning. His mother was Maria, daughter of Shepard Brown. Mr. Browning removed with his father from Griswold to Canterbury in 1837, and in 1857 they came to Plainfield, and bought a farm of 137 acres, and later they bought enough more to make 350 acres. His father died in 1876, aged 71 years, and since that time he has carried on the farming alone. He was married in 1877 to Ellen, daughter of Gilbert C. Robbins. He is a democrat and a member of the Packerville Baptist church.

Reverend Lucian Burleigh was born in Plainfield, in 1817. His father, Rinaldo, was a son of John and grandson of John Burleigh. He was educated at Plainfield Academy and Connecticut Literary Institution. He was ordained as an Evangelist, and was a teacher, preacher and temperance lecturer. His father, Rinaldo, was a graduate of Yale College, and was a teacher for many years. He was deacon of the Congregational church of Plainfield about forty-five years. He died in 1862, aged 88 years. Lucian Burleigh was married in 1843 to Elizabeth M., daughter of Stephen and Abigail Child. They had six children: Gertrude E., Harriet F., Caroline E., Lucian R., William B. and John C., all living but Caroline E. Mr. Burleigh died in 1884.

Joseph Butcher was born in England December 13th, 1803. He came to this country and married Polly, daughter of Aaron Wheeler. He was a farmer, excepting during a few years when he was in California. He was a member of Plainfield Union Baptist church. He died in 1879. His nephew, Joseph Butcher, was married in 1864 to Lydia M., daughter of George C. and Eliza M. (Hazard) Sheldon. Eliza M. was daughter of Thomas C. and Lydia Walker Hazard. George C. Sheldon was a son of Potter Sheldon. Lydia M. had one daughter by her marriage with Mr. Butcher-G. Annie. She married John J. Bennett in 1884.

Charles A. Byles, son of Josiah Byles, M. D., was born in 1842 in Clinton, Conn. Mr. Byles came to Plainfield about thirty-two years ago, and for the past twenty years has lived with his aunt, Mrs. Charles Hinckley. Charles Hinckley was the son of Vincent Hinckley. Charles built the house where Mr. Byles lives in 1857. He was married in 1839 to Lucy R. Avery. He died in 1875, aged 59 years. He was in the legislature one term and filled several of the town offices. He was a republican, a member of the Central Congregational church, and was deacon for several years. Mr. Byles was married in 1882 to Alice G., daughter of Henry C. Torrey. They have two sons-Frank A. and Charles H. He is a member of the Central Congregational church, and has been deacon of the same for four years. He is a republican.

Gurdon Cady, born in 1822 in Brooklyn, Conn., is a son of Elisha and grandson of Eliakim Cady. Mr. Cady is a farmer and has lived at this place since 1843. He has been selectman two terms and represented the town in the legislature in 1876. He was married to Mary E., daughter of Charles and Fannie Whiting. They had one adopted daughter, Frances C., who died aged thirteen years. The wife died in December, 1887. Mr. Cady is a democrat, a member of Moosup Lodge, No. 113, F. & A. M., and a member of Brooklyn Grange, No. 43, P. of H.

Fitch A. Carey was born in 1838 in Canterbury. He is a son of James B. Carey and grandson of James, whose father was one of the first settlers of Scotland, Conn. His mother was Mary, daughter of Fitch Adams. Mr. Carey was clerk in a store here for the Central Manufacturing Company about nine years prior to 1861. He went to Mexico and staid one year. From 1862 to 1875 he was a farmer in Canterbury. He represented the town in the legislature in 1868, and was one of the selectmen several years. In 1875 he removed to Plainfield, and since that time has been a small farmer and trader. In October, 1885, he was appointed postmaster at Central Village and fitted up a small store, where he keeps a variety stock. He was married in 1868 to Jennie, daughter of Archibald Fry. She died in 1879, leaving one daughter, Jennie F. He was married in 1883 to Eliza Walker. He is a democrat.

Lemuel W. Cleveland, born in 1841, is a son of Luther Cleveland, who was born in 1807 and died in 1853. His mother is Lydia C., daughter of Lemuel Woodward. Mr. Cleveland and his mother built the house where they now live in 1869. Mr. Cleveland is a republican. His father was a Whig in his day. Luther Cleveland was married in 1834 to Lydia C. Woodward. They had three children: Frances (Mrs. J. D. Brown, of Hartford), born 1837, has two daughters; Lemuel W. and Julia W. (twins), born 1841.

George S. Collins, born in 1861 in Canterbury, is a son of Charles W. and Mary M. Collins. His grandfather was Thomas Collins. Mr. Collins came to Plainfield in 1871, and has since been employed in the Kennedy City Mills the most of the time. He has been superintendent since 1883. He was married in 1885 to Catharine, daughter of John and Annie Murdock. He is a democrat.

Henry G. Colvin, born in 1835 in Warwick, R. I., is a son of Henry and grandson of George Colvin. His mother is Mary A., daughter of Joseph Bennett. His father came from Rhode Island to Plainfield in 1835, and lived here until his death, which occurred in 1869. Mr. Colvin is a thrifty farmer, and has lived at his present residence since 1864. He has a basement barn 40 by 97 feet. He was married in 1864 to Martha N. Robinson. She died in 1876, and he was married in 1879 to Mrs. Mary Burgess, sister of his first wife. He is a democrat.

James Craig, son of John Craig, was born in 1830 in Scotland. He is a machinist. He worked at his trade in the old country from 1843 to 1871, when he came to America, settling in Wauregan, where he has worked for the Wauregan Mills since that time. He was married in 1850 and has seven children: Helen, Annie, John, Thomas, Elizabeth, Jessie and Agnes. He is a republican, a member of Wauregan Congregational church, and a member of Moriah Lodge, No. 15, F. & A. M.

Martha G. Crandall was born in 1820. She is a daughter of Jeremiah, son of Aaron Starkweather. Her mother was Bridget Kinney. Martha G. was married in 1865 to Reverend- Phineas Crandall, who was born in 1793. He was a Methodist preacher for about fifty years, and a member of the New England Conference. In 1866 he bought and took possession of the place where Mrs. Crandall now lives. He died November 5th, 1878. Mr. Crandall was in the war of 1812. He had one son, John, by a former marriage.

Henry Daggett, born in 1830 in Providence county, R. I., is a son of Rufus and grandson of Daniel Daggett. His mother is Thankful (Bowen) Daggett. Mr. Daggett was a mill operative about forty-four years, and ran a cotton dresser for thirty-five years. Since 1886 he has been a farmer. He was married in 1853 to Ruth Battey, a sister of Lucius Battey, mentioned above. They have one son living, Frank MT. They lost a son and daughter, John E. and Lelia F. He is a member of the Moosup Methodist Episcopal church, and a member of Moosup Lodge, No. 113, F. & A. M.

George Davis, born in 1828 in Plainfield, is a son of Obed and grandson of David Davis. His mother was Robey, daughter of John Brown. Mr. Davis is a farmer. He sold milk in Wauregan about twenty-two years. He was married in 1856 to Emily, daughter of Herbert W. Parkis, son of Elias, son of Isaac Parkis. Their five children are: Ella AL, George Herbert, Sarah E., Ida E. and Albert I., who died aged three years. George Herbert was married in 1885, to Grace, daughter of Perry G. Tripp.

George B. Dawley was born in 1856 in Griswold, Conn. His father George, was a son of Isaac, and grandson of Michael Dawley. Mr. Dawley is a farmer and owns and occupies the farm where his father lived from 1856 until 1882. He died in 1886, and since that time the son has owned the farm. He has been selectman since 1887 as a democrat. He was married in 1877 to Annie, daughter of John Briggs. They have three children- Frank A., George A. and Ida L .

William Dawley was born in 1817 in Exeter, R. I. He is a son of William, and grandson of N Nathan, whose father John Dawley came from Ireland to what was called the ” Pettaquamscutt Purchase ” in Washington county, R. I., and later, to what is now Exeter, R. I. Mr. Dawley is a farmer. He came from Rhode Island to the place where he now lives in 1856. He has a four acre cranberry meadow. He has been selectman three terms, and has held other town offices. He was married in 1842 to Mary A., daughter of Michael Dawley, son of Oliver, son of Michael, son of John, same as above. They have one son, John W., who was married in 1885 to Jennie A., daughter of Joshua S. Kennedy, and has one son, William K. Dawley.

John R. Dean was born in 1805 and died in 1870. He was a son of Christopher, whose father James, was a son of John Dean, who owned the farm which is still in the Dean family. John R. was married in 1829 to Lucy L. Carpenter. They had two sons, James C. and John, who now live on the homestead. James C. was born in 1830, and was married in 1866 to Catharine E. Kinne. She died in 1875, leaving one daughter., Mr. Dean is a farmer. He is a member of Moosup Lodge, N o. 113, F. &: A. M. John Dean was born in 1832, and was married in 1863 to Julia, daughter of George Bliven. They have one son, George C. He is a farmer and owns the homestead.

Joseph A. Deane was born in 1816 in Taunton, Mass. He is a son of Abijah, whose father Nathaniel, was a son of Ebenezer, a son of John, whose father John, was a son of John Dean, who came to this country in 1637 from England. His mother Mary, was a daughter of Joseph Deane. Mr. Deane came to Plainfield in 1835 and has resided here since that time. He has been engaged in railroad work for about forty years, mostly bridge building. Since 1876 he has been an insurance agent, representing the Windham County Mutual and others. He was married in 1838 to Ann M. Tyler. She died leaving four children: Annie T., Albert, Mary E., and Edward. He was married again to Catharine Hall, who died in 1887. Mr. Deane has been constable, justice, and notary public. He is a republican.

George M. Denison was born in 1820 and married Lucinda Grant. They have one son and one daughter. George M. Denison has been a top, roller coverer for several years. His son Albert G. has worked at that business for several years with his father. In 1888 they opened a furniture and undertaking establishment at Moosup, under the firm name of George M. Denison & Son. Albert G. was married in 1887, to Clara H., daughter of Albert Tillinghast. The family are members of of Plainfield Union Baptist church.

Olney Dodge, born in 1824, in Rhode Island, is a son of Barney Dodge. His mother is Mary, daughter of Joab and Mary Mann. Mr. Dodge came to Plainfield in 1876 and bought a small farm a little south of Plainfield street, and since- that time has been a farmer. He was in California from 1849 to 1852. He was married in July, 1854, to Susan H., daughter of William and Martha (Gallup) Shepard. William was a son of Simon and Elizabeth (Moore) Shepard. Mr. and Mrs. Dodge have four children: Susan E. (Mrs. D. E. Earle), Mary A. (Mrs. Frank H. Tillinghast), John G. and Charles O. Mr. Dodge is a republican.

James Doyle, son of Michael Doyle, was born in 1849 in Ireland and came to this country in 1867. He bought the farm of 150 acres where he now lives in 1878. He was married in 1867 to Mary, daughter of Jeremiah Downing. They have seven children: John T., James, Mary, Kate, Rosie, Michael, and Julia A. He is a democrat and a member of the Moosup Catholic church.

Nancy Dunlap is a daughter of John Medbury, and granddaughter of Edward Medbury. She was married in 1839 to George Dunlap, who was born in 1815, and died in 1873. He was station agent at Moosup about thirty years, and town clerk of Plainfield several years. They had one daughter, Sarah J. (Mrs. Andrew Potter). Mr. Dunlap was a democrat.

John C. Edmonds, born in 1812, in Griswold, Conn., is a son of Samuel S., and grandson of Andrew Edmonds. His mother was Betsey, daughter of John Cogswell. He was educated in the district and select schools of Griswold, and has taught school about twenty winters. He came to this town in 1861, and bought the place where he now lives. He has been selectman four years. He was married in March, 1844, to Eliza, daughter of William Kinne. They have two adopted sons, David C. Kinne and Edwin Edmonds. Mr. Edmonds is a republican. He and his wife are members of the First Congregational church of Canterbury.

Roswell Ensworth was born in 1817 in Plainfield. His father Roswell, was a son of Jesse, and grandson of William, whose father Joseph, was the son of Tixhall Ensworth. His mother was Mary, daughter of Deacon David Knight. Mr. Ensworth was educated in district schools and in the Plainfield Academy. He has taught school about thirty years. Since March, 1876, he has been bookkeeper and secretary for the Robinson Fowler Foundry Company. He has been on the school board several years, and has held other town offices. He was a member of the legislature one term, 1880-81. He was married in 1844 to Mary A., daughter of Prentice Lewis. They had one daughter, Mary A. (Mrs. I. J. Baldwin), who died in 1869, and one son, George W., who died aged four years. Mr. Ensworth is a member and trustee of the First Congregational church of Plainfield, a member of Moriah Lodge, No. 15, F. & A. M., and Providence Chapter, No. 1. He is a republican.

Reverend Silenus H. Fellows was born in 1827 in Greene county, N. Y., and is a son of Reverend Linus H. Fellows of Connecticut. He was educated at Plainfield Academy, and taught school when a young man. He was licensed to preach in 1858, and in April, 1859, was ordained as a preacher. He has been pastor of the Congregational church of Wauregan since 1859. He was married in 1853 to Sylvia D. Newell. They have two daughters: Ida A., who is now Mrs. H. F. Lewis of Chicago, Ill., and Carrie L.

John S. French, born in 1819 in Plainfield, is a son of Nathaniel and grandson of John French. His mother was Rachel (Spaulding) French. Nathaniel French was a farmer and carpenter. He was in the legislature one year, was town clerk and treasurer several years and held other of the town offices. He came to the farm where John S. now lives in about 1814. John S. French is a farmer, and has always lived at the old homestead where he was born. He taught school about thirty terms when a young man. He was in the legislature in 1848 and again in 1879, was town clerk and treasurer eleven years, has been on the board of education about forty-five years, and has held other town offices as a republican. He was married in 1839 to Jane H. Lathrop. They have four children: Henry H., John F., Ella J. (Mrs. George O. Gadbois) and Ernest L., who is married and lives with his father. John F. was in the war of the rebellion three years.

Benjamin D. Gallup, born in 1828 in Sterling, Conn., is a son of John and grandson of Benjamin Gallup. His mother, Orra, was a daughter of Benjamin Dow. Mr. Gallup is a farmer. He was married in 1856 to Sarah L., daughter of John and Mary (Wilcox) Tanner. They have three children: Mary (Mrs. Justin L. Johnson), Irving B. and Myrtie J.

John R. Gallup was born in 1827 in Sterling, Conn. He is a son of Samuel, whose father, Nathaniel, was a son of John Gallup. His mother was Maria, daughter of Elisha Parks. Mr. Gallup is a farmer. He came from Sterling and bought the farm of 136 acres where he now lives. The house where he lives was built about 1810, by Samuel Frink. He was married in 1851 to Amarilla, daughter of Saxon Frink, a son of Samuel Frink. They have three children: Luetta F., Herbert A. and Ida M.

Mary A. Gardner is a daughter of John Gardner and granddaughter of Samuel and Elizabeth (Sweet) Gardner, of Rhode Island. Her mother was Mary, daughter of Isaac and Mary (Mason) Parkis. John Gardner was a farmer and died in 1859. The house where Miss Gardner lives was built by Isaac Parkis in 1816. She is one of three daughters, two of whom died in infancy. Her parents adopted a daughter, Louisa, who is now Mrs. Simon Shepard.

John C. Gibson, born in 1832 in Sterling, Conn., is a son of Ira and grandson of Campbell Gibson. Mr. Gibson has been overseer of mule spinning about thirty-four years. He has been at Moosup and vicinity about forty years, working at cotton and woolen manufacturing. He was married in 1854 to Almira, daughter of Nathan B. and Lois (Bates) Holly. They have two sons-Albert I. and George F.

Jonathan Greene, born in 1818 in West Greenwich, R. I., is a son of Jeremiah and grandson of Abel Greene. His mother was Freelove Hopkins. Mr. Greene has a farm of 200 acres about one mile east of Plainfield village, where he lived from 1869 to 1886, when he came to Plainfield and bought the judge Gallup farm, where he now lives. He was married in 1869 to Lettie Brown. They have four children: Carrie M., Frank B., Gracie A. and Harrie E. Mr. Greene is a democrat.

Daniel H. Grover was born in 1845 in Killingly. He is a son of Jonathan Grover, who was in the war of 1812. The latter was a son of Stephen, who was a revolutionary soldier and son of Zephaniah Grover. His mother was Lovice, daughter of Alvin Kingsley. Mr. Grover was educated at Plainfield Academy, and has taught school about twenty years. In 1883 he came to Moosup, and since that time has been bookkeeper for merchants here. He was married in 1880 to Ellen H., daughter of Benjamin Phillips and granddaughter of Nicholas Phillips. They have one son, Harry L. Mr. Grover is a member of Plainfield Union Baptist church. He is a republican and a member of Moosup Lodge, No. 113, F. & A. M.

Elisha P. Hale, born in 1822 in Plainfield, is a son of Stephen and Hannah (Potter) Hale. His grandparents were job and Margaret (Mason) Hale. Job was born in 1745, and bought the farm where Mr. Hale now lives in 1804, and it has been in the family since that time. Elisha P. was born in the house where he now lives. He has been a farmer for half a century, but for the last few years has lived retired. He was a member of the legislature in 1859, and again in 1874, and has held town offices. He is a republican., He was married in 1852 to Abbie A., daughter of Daniel and Deborah (Wood) Hill. She was a granddaughter of Edward Hill.

Mason W. Hale, born in 1817, in Plainfield, is a son of Stephen and Hannah (Potter) Hale. In 1839 he went to Phenix, R. I., and had charge of the weaving in a mill there about ten years, then he was superintendent of the mill five years. In 1854 he went to Bowen’s Hill, in Coventry, R. I., where he -worked at farming about twelve years. In 1867 he returned to the town of Plainfield. He was married in 1841 to Nancy Bowen. She died in 1854, and he married her sister, who lived about twelve years. In 1873 he married Betsey E. Moredock. He has one daughter by his first wife: Mary Emma. He represented the town of Coventry in the Rhode Island legislature, and has been selectman in this town about three years. He is a republican and a member of Plainfield Union Baptist church.

Edward P. Hall was born in 1812 in Plainfield. His father, William, -=as a son of Stephen and grandson of Stephen Hall, who was born in 1719 and died in 1818. His mother -was Ruth, daughter of David Davis. Mr. Hall is a farmer. In 1854 he built a house on Plainfield street, and in 1877 he built a tasty little residence near by for his own use. He was married in J&52 to Elizabeth R., daughter of Joshua B. and Hannah (Rathbon ) Comstock.

Jared Hall was born in 1834 in Plainfield. He is a son of Ebenezer, son of William, son of John, son of Samuel Hall. Mr. Hall devoted his time for several years to woolen manufacturing. In 1874 he bought the place where he now lives, and since that time has turned his attention to agricultural pursuits. He was married in 1854 to Susan S. Benson. They had five children: James E., Susan J., Emory J., Dora M. and Alvah. The three last mentioned are deceased. Mr. Hall is a member of Moosup Lodge, No. 113, F. & A. M.

Stephen Hall, son of Captain William Hall, was born in 1816, and died in 1887. He was educated at Plainfield Academy, and later in a theological school in Maine, and in a short time in Providence. He taught district and select schools for many years. He came to Moosup and built a school house, where he kept a select school for several years. He also built the residence where the family now live. He was married to Mary, daughter of John and Sophia Westcott. They had eight children: Charles M., Eugene A., George A., Ella J., Frank INT., Fred. M., Lizzie E. (deceased), and Walter C. Mr. Hall was a member of the Congregational church.

William F. Hall was born in 1820 in Plainfield. He is a son of William, and grandson of Stephen, whose father, Stephen Hall, died in April, 1818, aged 99 years. His mother was Ruth, daughter of David Davis. Mr. Hall is a farmer. He lived in Slatersville about 28 years, and came to the farm where he now lives in 1874. He has been selectman three terms as a republican. He was married in 1352 to Abbie E., daughter of William Shepard, he a son of Simon, he a son of Simon Shepard. – They have three children: William H., Ruth A. and Edward. Mr. Hall is a member of Plainfield Ecclesiastical society. Hiram Harris, son of Edwin Harris, was born in 1834 in Brooklyn, Conn. His mother was Rachel Harris. Mr. Harris devoted about twenty years of his life to cotton manufacturing, and was overseer about eleven years of that time. In 1866 he bought the mill property in the northeastern part of this town, and since that time he has run a grist, saw, shingle and cider mill. He was married in 1856 to Cynthia E. Lyon. They have four children: Eugene A., Agnes M. (Mrs. Charles Ayer), Winifred Estella and Florence Ellen. Mr. Harris is a republican.

Alfred T. Hill was born in 18:56 in Plainfield. His father, Harry, was a son of Daniel and grandson of Edward Hill. His mother is Ruth, daughter of Samuel and Freelove (Potter) Miller. Prior to 1882 Mr. Hill was a farmer. In the fall of that year he bought a house and lot at Almyville. He was clerk in the Almyville store about four years prior to October 1st, 1887, when he formed a partnership with Alfred H. Hyde, firm of Hill & Hyde, at Moosup. The firm still runs under that name. He was married in 1879 to Clara M., daughter of Edgar and Maria Amsbury. They have one daughter, Abbie M. Mr. Hill is a republican.

Alexander Hill, born in 1821 in Plainfield, is a son of Daniel, and grandson of Edward Hill. His mother was Deborah (Wood) Hill. Mr. Hill was a farmer in the northern part of the town until 1888. In the spring of that year he moved to Moosup where he is living retired. He was married in 1843 to Ruth, daughter of Parker Hill, of Sterling, Conn. They have four children: Mercy E. (Mrs. Joshua Hill), Catherine (Mrs. Henry Knight), Ann M. and Leroy, who died aged 19 years. He is a member of Plainfield Union Baptist church.

Orrin A. Hill, born in 1836 in Plainfield, is a son of Jonathan, and grandson of Jonathan Hill. His mother was Orra Tyler. Mr. Hill learned the trade of house carpenter, and after following the trade for several years, he turned his attention to farming. In 1871 he bought the farm where he now lives. The place was owned by the Union Mill Company for, a good many years. He was married in 1857 to Nancy, daughter of Aaron and Thankful (Sheffield) Belden. They have three children Hattie E., Leroy A. and George E. Mr. Hill is a democrat.

Ruth M. Hill was born in 1818 in Plainfield, and is a daughter of Samuel and Freelove (Potter) Miller. Her grandparents were James and Louise (Parkis) Miller. She was married in 1838 to Harry Hill, son of Daniel and grandson of Edward Hill. Mr. Hill was a farmer, having lived at this place since 1838. He was born in 1815 and died in 1873. They had three children: Charles W., Freelove Anna (Mrs. Charles A. Sanderson) and Alfred T. Mr. Sanderson-is a farmer, and he with his family (wife and two children) live on the farm with Mrs. Hill.

Alfred H. Hyde; born in 1858 in Plainfield, is a son of William I., and grandson of Ira Hyde. His mother is Sarah M. (Potter) Hyde. Mr. Hyde, in company with Alfred T. Hill, under the firm name of Hill & Hyde, bought the meat business at Moosup of G. P. Dorrance in October, 1887. In April following the market was enlarged and now they have three rooms, two for meat and canned goods, and one for an office. They have two wagons on the road. They handle about one ton of beef per week, and other meats and canned goods in proportion. Mr. Hyde is a republican, and a member of Plainfield Union Baptist church.

John J. Kelley was born in 1831 in South Newmarket, N. H. His father Benjamin, was a son of Benjamin, and grandson of Joseph, whose father Thomas came from Dublin, Ireland, in 1727 to Dover, N. H. His mother was Sarah (Swan) Kelley. Mr. Kelley was in the war of the rebellion in Company C, Third Massachusetts Cavalry, from 1862 to 1864. He was in mercantile business in Boston from 1859 to 1869, excepting the two years he was in the war. From 1869 to 1886 he was overseer and superintendent of woolen and cotton mills. In 1886 he came from Salem to this town and bought a farm of 75 acres, and since that time has been a farmer. He was married in 1852 to Mary Cobb. She died in 1859, leaving one son, George J. He was married in 1861, to Maria, daughter of Paul Vinal. He is a member of Eastern Star Lodge, No. 44, F. & A. M., of Willimantic, and of Trinity Chapter No. 9.

Horace Kennedy, born in 1844 in Plainfield, is a son of Robert, and grandson of Robert Kennedy. His mother is Clarissa, daughter of Noah and Elizabeth (Gallup) Briggs. Noah was a son of William and Elizabeth (Gallup) Briggs. Mr. Kennedy worked in a saw and grist mill at Central Village several years. He came to Moosup in 1878 and bought a farm, which he has since operated. He was married in May, 1873, to Sarah Rouse, who died the spring following. He was married in December, 1875, to Mary Jane Wells. They have two sons-Frederick A., and Frank E. Mr. Kennedy is a republican.

Joshua S. Kennedy, born in 1823 in Plainfield, is a son of Joshua, and grandson of Alexander Kennedy. His mother was Clarissa, daughter of Joshua Hall. Mr. Kennedy is a farmer, occupying the homestead where his father settled about 1811 and lived till his death, which occurred in 1856. He has been selectman several years, and has filled other town offices. He was married in 1844 to Joanna West. They had four children Charles E., Frank P., Eliza J. and Eva; the three last mentioned are deceased. The wife died in 1855. He was married in 1861 to Abbie E. Adams. They have one daughter, Jennie A., now Mrs. John W. Dawley. Mr. and Mrs. Kennedy are members of Plainfield Union Baptist church.

William H. Kenyon, born in 1849 in Charlestown, R. I., is a son of Godfrey A. and grandson of Captain John Kenyon. His mother was Minerva C., daughter of Jarvis Kenyon. Mr. Kenyon is a carpenter by trade. He came to Moosup in 1879 and worked at his trade until 1887. In March of that year he established a partnership with A. P. Tabor (firm of Tabor & Kenyon) and bought the stock of Aldrich & Milner, and ran what had before been the Company store of Almyville. He was married in 1883 to Lucy J., daughter of Mowrey B. Spalding. They have one son, Harold G. He is a member of Charity Lodge, No. 23, F. & A. M., and also a member of Mechanics’ Lodge, No. 14, I. 0. of 0. F., both of Washington county, Rhode Island.

John P. Kingsley, born in 1823 in Canterbury, Conn., is a son of John and grandson of Hezekiah Kingsley, who was a captain in the war of the revolution. His mother, Mary, was a daughter of Joseph Raymond. Mr. Kingsley was educated at Plainfield Academy, and at Worcester one year. He was a farmer in Norwich about fifteen years. From there he went to Canterbury in 1869, and until 1887 kept a general store there. In 1875 the firm of J. P. Kingsley & Sons was established, and the business is still carried on at Plainfield Junction. In 1887, Mr. Kingsley came to Plainfield where he now resides. He was married in 1844 to Clarissa Mathewson, who died in 1849, leaving one son, Milton J. He was married again to Elizabeth Scofield. They have four children: Walter, Emma, Carrie and Lizzie. In Canterbury Mr. Kingsley was judge of probate and town treasurer several years, and a member of the legislature two terms. He was postmaster about sixteen years. He is a republican.

Milton J. Kingsley was born in 1849 in Norwich, Conn. His father, John P. Kingsley, is a son of John and grandson of Hezekiah Kingsley. His mother was Clarissa, daughter of George Mathewson. He was educated at Norwich. In September, 1871, he started a store at Plainfield Junction, and in 1875 the firm of J. P. Kingsley & Sons (John P., Milton J. and Walter Kingsley) was established, and. has been run under that name since that time. Mr. Kingsley was married in 1877 to Hattie L., daughter of Deacon William B. Ames, of Plainfield. They have one daughter, Nettie M. Mr. Kingsley is a republican.

Jason P. Lathrop, son of Jason Lathrop, was born in 1849 in Griswold, Conn. His mother is Susan, daughter of Rowland Peckham. Mr. Lathrop was six years with the Smith Granite Company, of Westerly, prior to 1887. In the spring of that year he came to Central Village, where he has been engaged in farming. He was married in 1883 to Maggie H., daughter of Walter and Hannah Palmer, of Plainfield. They have one daughter, Susie H. Mr. Lathrop is a democrat.

Charles H. Lewis, born in 1843 in Griswold, Conn., is a son of Frank C. and Maria M. (Pierce) Lewis. His mother is a daughter of James Pierce, he a son of Nathaniel, and he a son of John Pierce. Mr. Lewis was in the war of the rebellion for about fourteen months, in Company H, 18th Connecticut volunteers, and was a prisoner of war in Libby and Belle Island about two months. In 1880 he went to Minnesota and was interested in a store there about eighteen months. In March, 1883, he came to Central Village, and bought the drug business of A. Walker, and has carried on the business there since that time. He was married in 1880 to Cora M. Shaw. They have one son, Henry Elmer. Mr. Lewis is a republican, and a member of Sedgewick Post, No. 1, G. A. R.

Parley W. Lewis was born in 1852 in Canterbury. He is a son of T. A. Lewis, whose father was Parley Lewis. His mother is Frances M., daughter of William Adams. Mr. Lewis came to this town in 1870. In 1875 he began work in the Plainfield station, and since October, 1885, has been station agent. He married Louisa A., daughter of Charles H. Johnson, and has three children: Alice L., Wilfred P. and Harold J. He is a republican.

Moses A. Linnell was born in 1845 in Providence, R. I. His father Moses, was a son of John, and grandson of Samuel Linnell. His mother was Martha H., daughter of William Hall. Mr. Linnell’s father enlisted in 1861 in the United States service, and died in the same year of fever while on his way to the front. Mr. Linnell learned the watchmaker and jeweler’s trade in 1868. He was for two years engaged in top roller covering in North Grosvenor Dale, Conn. Afterward he kept a clothing store and jeweler’s store at same place until 1881, when he removed the business to Moosup, where he has been since that time. He was married in 1873 to Laura, daughter of Lyman S. Botham, of East Thompson, Conn. They had one daughter, Eva, who died in infancy. Mr. Linnell is a member of Putnam Lodge, No. 46, F. & A. M.

William J. S. Lock, born in 1823 in Richmond, R. I., is a son of Joshua R. and Waitey (Sheldon) Lock. Mr. Lock was a farmer in Richmond, R. I., until 1863, then removed to Packerville, where he superintended the farm of E. A. Packer for, seven years, then he removed to Plainfield junction, where he lived until 1877, when he came to the farm where he now lives. He has held some of the town offices, and is a republican. He was married in 1843 to Catharine, daughter of Henry Steadman. They have one daughter, Almira C. They lost three sons: Henry J. N., William F. and William E. Almira C. is now Mrs. B. A. Northup. She has five children: Hattie, William E., Henry J., Andrew B. and Bessie E. Mr. Lock is a member of the Plainfield Union Baptist church. His wife, daughter and three grandsons are members of the same church.

Gorge Loring, son of George and Lucy (Lester) Loring, was born in 1830 in New London county. He is a tinsmith by trade. He kept a tin, wood and glass store at Central Village about seventeen years. He sold the business several years ago, and built the residence where he now lives in 1864. He has been selectman several years, chairman of the board four years, and was elected to the general assembly in 1879. He has three children living: William L., Henry K. and Robert H. He is a republican.

Lucius B. Morgan was born in 1839 in Canterbury. His father, Elisha A., was a son of Lott, and grandson of Isaac, who came to Plainfield and settled on the farm where Mr. Morgan now lives. The farm has not been out of the family since that time. Mr. Morgan is a farmer. He is on the board of selectmen for the third term as a republican. Elisha A. was selectman several times. He was married in March, 1834, to Philura A., daughter of Lucius and Ann (Lamb) Bacon, and a granddaughter of Samuel, a son of Joseph, and he a son of John Bacon, who was born in England in 1683. They had two children, Martha A. and Lucius B., who now live with their mother on the homestead. Elisha A. was born in 1805, and died in 1879.

Thomas E. Main was born in 1848 in North Stonington, Conn. He is a son of Sands B., whose father David, was a son of Peter Main. His mother was Eliza C. (Perry) plain. His grandmother was Dorcas (Palmer) lain. Mr. Main has been a mill operative since he was 18 years of age. He came to Almyville in November, 1880, where he has been overseer of weaving. He was married in 1869 to Julia E., daughter of James and Sarah Babcock. They have three children: James 0., Lewis S. and Howard E. He is a member of Moosup Methodist Episcopal church, and .has been superintendent of the Sunday school about seven years. He is a member of Moosup Lodge, No. 113, F. & A. M., and a republican.

Nathaniel Medbury, born in 1829 in Plainfield, was a son of Nathaniel, and grandson of Nathaniel Medbury. Mr. Medbury came to Wauregan in 1854 as a mill operative, and a -few years later was made overseer of weaving, and continued in that position until his death, in 1887. He was a democrat in politics, and a member of the Congregational church. He was married in 1854 to Susan F., daughter of Sabin L. and Maria (Phillips) Hawkins. Her grandfather was George Hawkins. They had two children, Frank W. and Hattie A., who is now Mrs. Frank S. Downer. Mr. Downer is an operative at Wauregan.

Frank Miller was born in 1857 in Plainfield. He is a son of James and Susan (Titus) Miller, and a grandson of Samuel and Freelove (Potter) Miller. Mr. Miller was for six years in a grocery store at Putnam. He came back to the homestead in 1881, and since that time has been a farmer. The farm has been in the Miller family for several generations. He was married in 1881 to Ada E. Medbury, and has one son, Clyde S.

Samuel D. Millett, born in 1808, was a son of Samuel and Rachel (Douglass) Millett. He was a mill operative in his younger days, and in 1854 came to the place where his widow now lives, and interested himself in agricultural pursuits until his death, which occurred in 1884. He was in the legislature one term, and was an active member of the Methodist church of Moosup. He was married in 1833 to Sarah A., daughter of Nathan and Elizabeth (Medbury) Carpenter. They had one son, Edward M., who was married in 1856 to D. Ann Kinney. They had two daughters: Ella J. and Lillie E. Edward M. was an operative in woolen mills for several years prior to his death, which occurred in 1875. He was an active member of the Moosup Methodist Episcopal church. The farm where the two widows now live was owned by Edward Medbury from 1801 until his death and then by his son Edward until his death, when it fell to Samuel D. Millett.

Henry S. Newton was born in 1817 in Voluntown, Conn. He is a son of Israel and Nancy Newton and grandson of Matthew Newton, who came from England to this country when a boy, with his father, Matthew Newton. Mr. Newton is a farmer. He has lived on the farm where he now resides since 1839. He was married in 1837 and had eight children: Henry F., Charles S., John M., Alice J., Horace I., Annie L., Susie B. and Otis P. His wife died in 1883. Charles S. was in the war of the rebellion in Company G, 11th Connecticut volunteers, and died August 31st, 1862. Henry F. was in Company B, 21st Connecticut Volunteers, from August, 1862, to May, 1864. He is now a member of Kilburn Post, No. 77, G. A. R., also a member of Moriah Lodge, No. 15, F. & A. M. He represented the town in the legislature in 1882 as a republican.

Matthew S. Nichols, son of Luke Nichols, was born in 1824 in Westerly, R. I. He was educated at district schools and later in a select school. He learned the trade of a machinist, working about five years. He then went to California, returning in 1.851, and in 1865 went to Norwich, where he studied dentistry one year, coming to Central Village in 1866. where he has since practiced. He is the originator and manufacturer of “Nichols’ Carbolic Dentifrice,” and also a similar preparation called ” Coral Sea Foam.” He was married May 18th, 1870, to Mary E., daughter of Kimball Kennedy. They have one son, Walter K. Doctor Nichols is a republican, a member of Central Congregational church and a member of Moosup Lodge, No. 113, F. & A. M.

George H. Palmer was born in September, 1831. He is a son of Harry Palmer, who was the seventh generation from Walter Palmer, who was born in England in 1598, and came to New England in 1629. His mother was Caroline E., daughter of Samuel Dorrance. Mr. Palmer is a farmer, living on the farm where the family has lived for nearly one hundred years. The house where he now lives -was built about 1800. There have been three generations of the family born in it. He was married in 1854 to Prudence L. Phillips. She died in 1868, leaving two children-Harriet D. and Edward G. He is a republican.

Samuel Palmer was born in 1826 in Plainfield. He is a son of Samuel, whose father was Walter, and he a son of Walter, and he a son of Walter, whose father was Walter, who was a son of Gershom, and he a son of Walter. His mother was Lydia R., daughter of Colonel Abraham Ormsbee. Mr. Palmer was in a woolen factory about five years, and since that time has been a farmer. He has always lived in Plainfield. Since 1866 he has lived on the Shepard homestead. He was married in 1850 to Lucy G. Shepard. They have one son-Samuel F. His wife is a daughter of William, he a son of Simon, and he a son of Simon Shepard. Her mother was Martha Gallup, whose father was Simon Gallup.

Walter Palmer was born in 1824 in Plainfield. His father, Samuel, was a son of Walter and grandson of Walter, who was the first of the family to settle in this town. His father, Walter, was a son of Walter and grandson of Gershom, who was a son of Walter Palmer, who was born in 1598 and died in 1662. He came from Nottinghamshire, England, to Charlestown, Mass., in 1629. Mr. Palmer’s mother was Lydia R., daughter of Abraham Ormsbee. Mr. Palmer is a farmer and cattle dealer. He represented the town in the house of representatives in 1878, and has been selectman and judge of probate. He was married in 1848 to Hannah, daughter of Captain William Shepard. They have three children: Walter L., Maggie H. (Mrs. Jason P. Lathrop) and Martha E.

Peleg M. Peckham was born in 1822 in Hopkinton, R. I. He is a son of Reverend Peleg Peckham, who was pastor of the Sterling Hill church for about forty years, and was a son of Judge Samuel Peckham. His mother was a daughter of Benjamin Burdick. Mr. Peckham learned the carriage maker’s trade when a young man. He has been a railroad car builder for the past forty years, with the Stonington Railroad Company. He was foreman of the shop’ about thirty-five years. He came to Moosup in 1886 and bought a house and lot, and since that time has been living a retired life. He was married in 1844 to Rachel E. Gallup She died in 1862, leaving one son, Albert M., who died in 1883. He was married again in 1863 to Emeline Gallup. He is a member of the Plainfield Union Baptist church and a republican. He was for several years a member of the Franklin Lyceum of Providence.

Perry S. Phillips was born in 1826 in Sterling, Conn. He is a son of Palmer G., who was in the war of 1812, he a son of Reverend Simon Phillips, whose father came from Scotland to Rhode Island. His mother was Betsey Farnum. Mr. Phillips has been a mill operative nearly all his life. He has been overseer of weaving for about forty years. He was three years at Brooklyn, Conn., and ran the ” Mont Lake” house there from 1875 to 1878. He has been on the board of selectmen about ten years, at different times. He is a republican. He was married in 1850 to Susan E. Wells. They had one son, Carlton M., who died of heart disease in 1883. Mr. Phillips is a member of the Ecclesiastical Society of the Baptist church, and was president of the society several years. He is a member of Moosup Lodge, No. 113, F. & A. AL, also a member of the Chapter.

Havilah M. Prior, born in 1829, is a son of John, and grandson of Joseph Prior. His mother was Ruth, daughter of Edward Medbury. Mr. Prior is a machinist, having worked at that trade from 1851 until 1879, since which time he has been a farmer. He has been a member of the school committee and held some other town offices. He represented the town in the legislature in 1882. He was married in 1856 to Mary S. Potter. She died in 1859, leaving one daughter, Ruth J., who is now Mrs. James W. Thornly. He was married again in 1860 to Jane, daughter of Eben Phillips, who was a son of Nicholas Phillips. They have one son, John E., who was married in 1888 to Grace Putnam.

Samuel P. Robinson, born in 1808 in Canterbury, is a son of Samuel, and grandson of Josiah Robinson. His mother was Abigail Glover. Mr. Robinson is a carriage maker by trade. In 1857 he started an iron foundry company in Canterbury, firm name of Robinson & Fowler, and in 1858 they took in other partners and called the firm Robinson, Fowler & Co. In 1867 they started another foundry at Plainfield junction, and in 1870 the two were consolidated. He came to Plainfield to live in 1870. He was married in 1844 to Helen L., daughter of Joseph Goodwin. They have two children: Ella, who died, and Edward G., who was married in 1870 to Nellie S. Clark. They have two daughters. Mr. Robinson was in some of the town offices of Canterbury as a republican.

George A. Rouse, born in 1841 in Coventry, R. I., is a son of James, and grandson of James Rouse. His mother is Harriet M. Mathewson. Mr. Rouse enlisted in September, 1861, in Company F, Eighth Connecticut infantry as a private. September 17th, 1862, he was appointed sergeant, and September 29th, 1864, was promoted to orderly sergeant. He was discharged September 11th, 1865. He was wounded at Fort Harrison September 29th, 1864, and lost his left leg in consequence. He began work at the harness maker’s trade in 1867, and has since made that his business. He has held town offices, and in 1875 represented the town in the legislature as a democrat. He was married in 1870 to Sarah M., daughter of Calvin Pike. They have one daughter, Ella E. He is now a republican.

William Roney, son of Thomas Roney, was born in Ireland in 1832, and died in Moosup in 1874. He came to America when a boy, was a farmer in Sterling about twenty years, and in 1870 came to Moosup and bought the farm where the family now live. He was married in 1855 to Mary, daughter of John Jackson. They had six children: Ida A. (Mrs. Harlow Ladd), Frederick, Alfred, John, William and one that died, named Jennie. Mr. Roney was a democrat.

John D. Rood was born in 1821 in Killingly, Conn. He is a son of Cyrus, whose father Isaac, was a son of Jacob Rood. His mother was Ruth, daughter of Joshua Card. Mr. Rood is a carpenter by trade, but being a natural mechanic has not been entirely confined to the trade. The last twenty years he has paid some attention to agricultural pursuits. He represented the town in the legislature in 1870. He has been on the board of selectmen several terms, and has filled other town offices as a republican. He has been married three times: first to Rebecca Eaton, second to Lydia C. Wells and last to Fannie Baker. There have been two children by each marriage. He is a charter member of Moosup Lodge, No. 113, F. & A. M and has been master of the order five years. He is a member of the Columbia Commandery, No. 4, of Norwich.

Joseph Rood, born in 1834 in Plainfield, is a son of Solomon and Mercy (Matteson) Rood, and grandson of Joseph Rood. He lived in Plainfield until 1870, and since that time has lived just south of the town line in Griswold. He has about 1,000 acres of land. While in Plainfield he was selectman several years. In Griswold he has been selectman and justice several terms, and represented the town in the legislature in 1874 and in 1886 as a republican. He was married in 1850 to Frances Fry. They have two children living-Charles W. and Joseph, Jr.; they lost three-Frank N., John H. and Daniel. He is a member of the Masonic order and also a member of the Knights of Pythias.

William H. Sargent, born in 1842 in Worcester, Mass., is a son of Francis F. and grandson of Daniel H. Sargent. His mother was Susan H., daughter of Ralph Rice. Mr. Sargent graduated in medicine at the Cincinnati Medical College in 1874. In 1876 he opened a drug store in Massachusetts, where he was engaged until 1881. In November of that year he came to Moosup and bought out W. H. Hurlburt in the drug store and succeeded him in the business. He was in the war of the rebellion from 1861 to 1864 in Company B, 32d Massachusetts volunteers. He was married in 1883 to Nettie L., daughter of George W. Davis, of Rhode Island. He is a member of Kilburn Post, No. 77, G. A. R., a member of Moosup Lodge, No. 113, F. & A. M. and has been secretary of that order since 1884. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church of Hubbardstown, Mass.

George W. Shepard was born in 1837 in Plainfield. His father, Captain Jeremiah M. Shepard, was a son of Jeremiah and grandson of Captain Simon Shepard. Mr. Shepard began at the age of nine years in cotton manufacturing in Central Village, and for six years prior to 1862 was overseer of spinning there. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Company K, 21st Connecticut Volunteers, was commissioned as second sergeant October 11th, 1862, was promoted to second lieutenant November, 1863, was made first lieutenant, and a few months later was commissioned as captain of the company. He was discharged in 1864. In March, 1866, he came to Wauregan and since that time has been overseer of spinning. He was married in 1870 to Mary E. Dix. They have two children: Jay M. and Ellen L. He is a member of Moriah Lodge, No. 15, F. & A. H., and a member of Quinebaug Lodge, No. 22, A. O. U. W. He is a republican.

Albert E. Shoules, born in 1853, is a son of Orrin and grandson of Abial Shoules. His mother is Ardelia (Sweet) Shoules. Mr. Shoules is a farmer, and in March, 1882. he took charge of the town farm, and that year he kept five cows and one pair of horses and had to buy two tons of hay. This year he keeps fifteen head of cattle and a pair of horses, and put up about thirty-five tons of hay. In 1884 he built a basement barn 36 by 60 feet with 17 feet posts. He was married in 1875 to Mary E. Palmer. They have one son, Lewis E. He is a democrat and a member of Moosup Lodge, No. 113, F. & A. M.

William S. Simmons was born in 1839 in Rhode Island, near Phenix. He is a son of Davenport S. and grandson of William S. Simmons. His mother was Mary A., daughter ,of Reverend Isaac Bonney. Mr. Simmons is a tinsmith by trade. He worked at the trade about four years. In September, 1861, he enlisted in Company F, 8th Connecticut volunteers. He was color sergeant. He and another color sergeant, Jacob Bishop, were the ones that planted the first Union colors on Fort Harrison, September 29th, 1564. They were promoted to second lieutenants for the act. On the 21st of February, 1865, he received a wound at Wilmington, N. C., and lost his left leg in consequence. He represented the town in the legislature in 1881. He was postmaster at Moosup seven years after the ,war. He was married in 1864 to Angeline L., daughter of Christopher Lyon. They have one daughter, Agnes L. He was in Florida a part of the time ten years prior to 1882. He has lived at Central Village since 1882.

John S. Smith was born in 1823 in Preston. He is a son of Elisha, who held a captain’s commission for several years in a military company, and a grandson of Asa, who was a son of Jeremiah: His mother was Mary, daughter of Samuel Henry. He came to Plainfield in 1856, and owns a farm of 230 acres. The house where he now lives was built in 1828 by Mason Cornell. He was selectman for several years. He was married in 1854 to Frances C., daughter of Mason Cornell, a son of William, he a son of Gideon, and he a son of Stephen. Her mother was Philena A., daughter of John Monroe. The names of their four children are: William C., Anna P., Mary C. (now Mrs. Everett E. Brown) and Arthur M. Mr. Smith has been a prohibitionist since 1872.

Daniel Spaulding was born in 1838 in Plainfield. His father, Daniel, was a son of Daniel. His mother was Dinah Medbury. He is one of three children now living: Rachel, Daniel and Lydia H. Mr. Spaulding has been a farmer at this place for twenty-two years, and owns a part of what was the homestead of his father and grandfather. He has been selectman six years, and has filled other town offices. He was married in 1868 to Laura A., daughter of William Hiscock. They have two children, Grace M. and Charles N. Mr. Spaulding is a republican.

Henry C. Starkweather, born in Windham in 1826, is a son of Elisha and grandson of Ephraim Starkweather. In 1845 he went to Providence, R. I., where he was employed in the bleaching and dyeing business until 1555, when he removed to Norwich, Conn., where he was engaged in the same business until 1862, at which time he came to Plainfield. He has been assessor of taxes, justice of the peace, county commissioner three years, and represented the town in the legislature in 1874. In January, 1886, he was appointed postmaster at Plainfield, which office he now holds. He was married in 1858 to Ellen Dillaby. She died in 1864, leaving two daughters, Emma A. and Hattie B. He was married in 1865 to Sarah D. Burdick, by whom he has one son, Henry S. He also has one son by a former marriage, Festus L. He is a member of Moosup Lodge, No. 113, F. & A. M.

Jeremiah Starkweather, born in 1809 in Burlington, N. Y., is a son of Jeremiah and grandson of Aaron Starkweather. Mr. Starkweather has been a farmer, with the exception of about ten years, during which time he was station agent. He has been judge of probate, and has held other town offices, as a republican. He was married first in 1838, to Hannah Card. She died in 1849. He was married in 1855 to Roby, daughter of George Kenyon, who came from Rhode Island to this town when a boy (about 1795). He was in the war of 1812.

Harriet Stockley was born in England, and is a daughter of Joseph Whitaker. She was married December 25th, 1848, to William Stockley. They came to Slatersville, R. I., in the spring following, where he was employed as mill operative. In 1857 they removed to Wauregan, where Mr. Stockley was overseer of mule spinning until 1875, when he retired on account of his health, and he died the February following, aged 53 years. They had two sons: John W., who died in infancy, and Arthur W., who was in the Company store at Wauregan about seven years. He was married in 187S to Mary Leach, and died in 1881. His widow was married in 1885 to John F. Lewis. They have one daughter, Mary L. Mrs. Stockley came to Central Village in January, 1882, where she now lives with Mr. Lewis and his family. Mr. Stockley was a republican and a member of Moos-up Lodge, No. 113, F. & A. M.

Amasa P. Tabor was born in 1846, in Cazenovia, Madison county, N. Y. His father was Peleg C., son of Peleg Tabor. His mother was Abbie, daughter of Amasa Borden. Mr. Tabor moved from New York to Coventry, R. I., in 1858. He was first interested in the mercantile trade in 1870, at Green Station, R. I., with Charles J. Borden (firm of Borden & Tabor). In 1871 Mr. Tabor bought his partner’s interest, for seven years carried on the business alone, and in 1878 sold out to Oliver Lewis. He was in this town from 1880 to 1885, as agent for Aldrich & Milner; then he was with a Providence firm two years, and in March, 1887, he came back to Almyville, and since that time he has been a member of the firm of Tabor & Kenyon, general merchants. He was married in 1860 to Peora F. Jencks. They have two children living, Irving A. and Abbie P., and two died in infancy. He enlisted in the 1st R. I. Light Artillery in March, 1865, and was discharged in June. He is a member of Kilburn Post, No. 77, G. A. R., a member of the Masonic order, and also of the Odd Fellows.

Nathaniel P. Thompson was born in 1827 in Voluntown, Conn. He is a son of Isaac W., and grandson of Reuben Thompson. His mother is Anna, daughter of Major John Wilcox, son of Abram Wilcox. Mr. Thompson was a mill operative from a lad until 1861. In September of that year he enlisted in Company K, 21st Connecticut volunteers. He was wounded in the left hand at Drury’s Bluff, May 16th, 1862, and was discharged in February, 1865. In the spring of the same year he came to Central Village, and was employed as a mill operative until 1872, and since that time he has been constable and – deputy sheriff, with the exception of two years collector. He was married in 1851 to Maria, daughter of John R. Snow. They have three children: Frank S., Mary I. (Mrs. Daniel Shippee), and Annie L. Mr. Thompson is a member of Moosup Lodge, No. 113, F. & A. M., and Kilburn Post, No. 77, G. A. R.

Abbie C. Tillinghast is a daughter of Knight Spalding, and granddaughter of Reuben Spalding. Her mother was Lucy (Prior) Spalding. She was married in 1861 to Rufus Kennedy, who died in 1872. He was a son of Robert Kennedy, and was a manufacturer here for several years, and later a farmer. She was married a few years later to Mr. Tillinghast, who was killed by a locomotive.

Charles A. Tillinghast was born in 1808 in Voluntown, Conn. He is a son of Joseph, son of Charles, son of John, son of Pardon, son of Elder Pardon Tillinghast, who came from England to Providence. His mother was Sarah, daughter of William Gorton. Mr. Tillinghast learned the cabinet maker’s trade, worked at it about eight years, and has since been a machinist. He has worked at the latter trade about 57 years. He came to Moosup in 1847, and in 1848 he built the house which he has occupied since that time. He was married in 1831 to Sophia, daughter of Andrew and Martha (Parkis) Young. They have two children living, Alva H. and Jennie S., now Mrs. T. Avery Tillinghast. They lost three children in infancy: Sarah F., Helen S. and Charles E. Mr. Tillinghast is a republican, and a member of Plainfield Union Baptist church.

Frank C. Tillinghast was born in 1860 in Sterling, Conn. His father, Albert, was a son of George and grandson of Elder Pardon Tillinghast. His mother was Orra, daughter of Benjamin Clark. Mr. Tillinghast is a farmer. He came to this town in 1888 and bought a farm of 190 acres of Alexander Hill. He was married in 1888 to Lizzie, daughter of Russell Hill, of Sterling, Conn. He is a member of Plainfield Union Baptist church.

Frank H. Tillinghast, son of Waldo Tillinghast, was born in 1860 in Plainfield. Mr. Tillinghast was educated at the Plainfield Academy and at Schofield’s Business College of Providence. He had charge of a store for his father at Packerville about two years prior to 1883. In October of that year he, in company with Mr. Palmer, purchased the goods in the Company store at Central Village, and it was run as Tillinghast & Palmer until July, 1886. At that time Palmer retired. and Mr. Tillinghast has since been alone. He was married in 1882 to Annie M., daughter of Olney Dodge. He is a republican and a member of Moosup Lodge, No. 113, F. & A. M.

Henry S. Tillinghast, born in 1835 in Killingly, is a son of Thomas S. and grandson of Deacon Pardon Tillinghast, of West Greenwich, R. I. Mr. Tillinghast carried on a hotel at Plainfield about three years prior to 1861. In August of that year he enlisted in Company C, First Squadron Connecticut Cavalry, and was mustered in at Scarsdale in the ” Harris Light,” or 2d New York Cavalry. He has been engaged in buying farmers’ produce and dealing in horses about nineteen years, and in February, 1887, he took the Moosup House, which he has run since that time. He was married in 1858 to Catharine T., daughter of Silas and Eliza Crain. They have had six children: George C., who was killed in 1880; Byron H., who died aged three years; Mary E., now Mrs. Walter Smith; Emma H., Willie A. and Bertha May, who died aged seven years.

George H. Tripp was born in 1862 in Thompson. His father, Henry D., was a son of John S. and grandson of Perry Tripp. His mother is Adelaide J. Simmons. Mr. Tripp was brought up a farmer, and in July, 1883, he established a coal and wood yard in Central Village. In 1885 he bought the Central block of Charles J. Aspinwall, and he now keeps grain and feed. He handles about 3,000 tons of coal per year. He was married in November, 1887, to Lena F., daughter of Rufus D. Curtis.

Perry G. Tripp, born in 1823 in Plainfield, is a son of John S. Tripp, born in Exeter, R. I., and grandson of Perry Tripp. His mother was Sarah, daughter of Samuel and Sarah Bissel. Samuel Bissel was a revolutionary soldier. He came to Plainfield in 1823. John S. Tripp came to this town at the same time and settled in the south part of the town. Mr. Tripp lived with his father until 1840; then he engaged in whaling about six years. .In that time he went twice around the world. Since that time he has been a farmer. Prior to 1869 he was in Brooklyn, Conn., about twenty years. In 1869 he came to Plainfield and bought about two hundred acres. He still owns the farm in Brooklyn .of about 250 acres. He keeps about forty cows. He was married in 1848 to Lydia A. Robbins. She died in 1874, leaving seven children: Perry G., Jr., Elihu S., John B., Emma, Isabel, Grace and Lizzie. He was married again in 1876 to Hattie Robbins. She has one daughter, Anna I. He has been selectman and held other town offices. He is a democrat. He is a member of Packerville Baptist church.

Joseph Vaughn was born in 1811 in Sterling. His father, Jesse Vaughn, who died in 1823 aged 77 years, had twelve children by his first wife; and by his second wife, Mary E. French, four children: John, Joseph, Lydia and Mary. Mr. Vaughn is the only one of the sixteen children now living. He was a blacksmith about fifteen years, then a farmer. He lived in Tolland, Conn., about twenty-five years. He came to Central. Village and bought a house and lot in 1879, and has lived here since that time. He was married in 1838 and his wife died in 1865. He was married in 1866 to Mary Eliza Young. They have two children-John E. and Mary E. He has been deacon of Plainfield Union Baptist church about nine years.

William H. and John E. Williams are sons of William A. Williams. William H. was born in 1860 in Westerly, R. I. He began in 1880 to learn the blacksmith’s trade, and has followed it since that time. John E. was born in 1864. He began in 1883 in Norwich to learn the blacksmith’s trade. They came to Moosup in 1887, October 10th, bought the blacksmith shop of John W. Fisk, and since that time have carried on a blacksmith business there. Their younger brother, Dudley B., also works with them. William H. was married in 1885 to Emily Finamore. They have one daughter, Ida.

Caleb P. Wilson, son of Jared Wilson, was born in 1813 in Sterling. He came to Wauregan in 1854 as overseer of weaving, and continued in that capacity until December, 1866.. Since then he has been superintendent of the mill. Prior to 1854 he had been overseer of weaving in Central Village about eight years. He was a member of the legislature in 1851 as a Whig. He was married first in 1839. He lost his first wife, and was married again in 1883. He is a republican.

Betsey A. Wilcox is the daughter of William Wilcox, who was born in 1801., in West Greenwich, R. I. He was a son of Thomas, and he a son of Nathan Wilcox. Mr. Wilcox left his home in West Greenwich at the age of 28, and from that time until 1844, he worked as stone mason in different parts of New England, and was four years in New York state. It is said that he built all the locks on the canal from Albany to Troy. From 1844 until his death, which occurred on November 19th, 1884, he had been a farmer. William Wilcox was married in 1849 to Mary A., daughter of Hezekiah French, who was a son of Isaac French. They had two daughters-Betsey A. and French, who died aged four years. Mr. Wilcox was a democrat.

Erbin S. Wilson, born in 1851 in Plainfield, is a son of Rufus, and grandson of Nathaniel Wilson. His mother is Phoebe, daughter of John and Celia Young. Rufus was married in 1849, and died in 1885. Nathaniel Wilson and his brother bought the farm where Erbin S. now lives about 1800. He built the house where Erbin S. now lives for his son Thomas. Nathaniel had eight children: Rufus, Thomas, Rachel, Eunice, Polly, Olive, Zylpha and Sally. Mr. Wilson was married in 1883 to Josie G., daughter of James H. Fairman. She died in 1884, leaving one son. He was married again in 1885 to Melissa. daughter of Cyrus Bennett. He is a republican, and a member of the Moosup Methodist Episcopal church.

Henry N. Wood, Jr., was born in 1850 in South Scituate, R. I. He is a son of Henry N. and Mary (Salisbury) Wood, and grandson of Nehemiah and Phila (Salisbury) Wood. Mr. Wood is a – machinist by trade. He has lived at Wauregan since 1865, with the exception of five years. He was boss machinist at Phenix, R. I., for three years, and since he came back has been boss machinist at Wauregan Mills. He was married in 1871 to Ada, daughter of Enoch W. Waldo. They have two daughters, Cora M. and Minnie F. He is a member of Wauregan Congregational church, a member of Moriah Lodge, No. 15, F. & A. M., Warren Chapter, No. 12, and Protection Lodge, No. 19, I. O. of O. F.

Henry A. Young was born in 1838 in Killingly. He is a son of Stephen G., whose father was Stephen Young. His mother is Mary (Hill) Young. Stephen G. was a machinist by trade. He came from Killingly to this town in 1841, and in 1850 he bought a farm’ of 130 acres. He died in 1885. Henry A. is a farmer, occupying the homestead of his father. He was married in 1883 to Anna J., daughter of Joseph and Almira (Kimball) James, and granddaughter of Perry G., a son of Joseph James, who was a revolutionary soldier.

Additional Offsite Biographies

Back to: Plainfield, Windham County, Connecticut History

Back to: Windham County Connecticut Genealogy and History

Source: History of Windham County, Connecticut, Bayles, Richard M.; New York: W.W. Preston, 1889