Author: Dennis Partridge

Proprietors of Woodstock Connecticut

1. Thomas and Joseph Bacon, thirty acres. 2. James Corbin, twenty acres. 3. Minister’s lot, twenty acres. 4. Benjamin Sabin, twenty acres. 5. Henry Bowen, fifteen acres. 6. Thomas Lyon, sixteen acres. 7. Ebenezer Morris, eighteen acres. 8. Matthew Davis, sixteen acres. 9. William Lyon, Sr., and Ebenezer Cass. These lots were all laid out on Plaine hill. It had been previously voted ” by the company of Go-ers,” that whosoever took up their land upon the Plaine, on the northward side of Millbrook, should have one-third part of land added to their home lots, viz., three acres for two on account of the inferior quality of the land. Seventeen lots were then assigned in the eastward vale, viz.: 10. John Chandler, Sr., thirty acres. 11. Peter Aspinwall, twenty acres. 12. John Frizzell, twenty acres. 13. Joseph Frizzell, twenty acres. 14. Jonathan Smithers, thirty acres. 15. John Butcher, sixteen acres. 16. Jonathan Davis, eighteen acres. 17. Jonathan Peake, twenty acres. 18. Nathaniel Gary, fifteen acres. 19. John Bowen, fifteen acres. 20. Nathaniel Johnson, sixteen acres. 21. John Hubbard, ten acres. 22. George Griggs, fifteen acres. 23. Benjamin Griggs, fifteen acres. 24. William Lyon, Jr., fifteen acres. 25. John Leavens, twenty acres. 26. Nathaniel Sanger, twenty acres. Lots 27, Samuel Scarborough, and 28, Samuel Craft, were laid out on the east side of Plaine hill. The home lots on the...

Read More

Biography of Hiram N. Brown

Hiram N. Brown was born June 7, 1812, in New London, Conn., not far from the Waterford town line, a son of David and Lydia (Stebbins) Brown, natives of the same locality. David Brown was a grocery merchant for many years in New London, and a well-known citizen throughout that section of country, being prominent as a Mason. He believed in the precepts of the Golden Rule and endeavored in his daily life to keep them before him as a guide. Late in life, owing to failing health, he sought another climate, removing to Utica, N.Y., where he died and was buried. His wife, who was a member of the M.E. Church in New London, was a good Christian woman and a devoted wife and mother. Her death occurred at the home of a daughter in Woodstock, Conn., where her remains rest. Ten children were born to this couple, as follows: Peter, the eldest, who died at Charleston, South Carolina; Charles, who died at Utica, N.Y.; William, who died on Staten Island; Isaac, who died in 1899, a resident of the State of Wisconsin; Sarah M.; Eliza, who married Jonah Gates and died in Woodstock, Conn.; Hiram N.; Mary Ann, who died and was buried on Staten Island; George, who died in New London; and Emma Eunice, who married Benjamin Putnam and died in Woodstock. In childhood Hiram N....

Read More

Biography of Henry Newton Brown

Henry Newton Brown, son of Hiram N. Brown, brother of Charles Hathaway Brown, was born Jan. 30, 1839, in Woodstock, Conn., and secured his education in the public schools of Putnam and at Wilbraham Academy. Beginning his business life as a clerk in Putnam, he established himself in the dry-goods business, later confining himself through several years to a shoe business and still later operating a coal and wood business. After his removal to Rhode Island, he engaged extensively in a lumber business and died at Woonsocket, in that State, Feb. 18, 1890; he was interred in the Putnam cemetery. His political identification was with the Republican party. Mr. Brown was one of the leading and most useful members of the Congregational Church. His marriage to Delia Ann Fisher, Oct. 9, 1861, resulted in the birth of two children, namely: Edward, who died in Putnam; and Louise, who married Kendall Castle, of Rochester, New York. Their two children are: Newton Brown and Kendall Brooks. Henry N. Brown was a member of the Masonic fraternity in Putnam. His standing as a man and citizen may be judged by an article which appeared in the columns of the Patriot, at Putnam, at the time of his decease. So well does it express the general feelings of friends, acquaintances and fellow-citizens, that the biographer gives the entire article from the pen of...

Read More

Biography of Charles Hathaway Brown

Charles Hathaway Brown, son of Hiram N. Brown, and brother of Henry N. Brown, was born Oct. 21, 1842, in West Woodstock, Conn., and removed with his father’s family in 1854 to Putnam, where his later boyhood was passed and his preparation for business was received. In July, 1870, associated with F.W. Perry, the two established the present extensive business of the well-known hardware firm of Perry & Brown, of Putnam. During this intervening third of a century, Mr. Brown has gradually but steadily come to the front until he is one of Putnam’s most substantial business men and prominent citizens. He is of that type of men who have never sought public office, but public office has sought him. In 1884 he was elected treasurer of the Putnam fire district, the duties of which he discharged and acceptably filled until 1896. Since the last named year, Mr. Brown has been the efficient treasurer of the city of Putnam. In 1887 he was elected registrar of voters and each year since has been re-elected. In 1896 he was honored by his fellow-townsmen with a seat in the General Assembly of the State, and in 1901 he became, by the suffrages of his district, the sixteenth, a member of the State Senate, in both bodies serving with intelligence and ability. In the House he was a member of the committee...

Read More

Windham, Connecticut Biographies

Ansel Arnold, youngest son of Samuel and Amity (Pomeroy) Arnold, was born in Somers, Conn., August 8th, 1815. At the age of 21 he commenced the manufacture of shaker hoods at Mansfield Centre, which he continued till 1841, when he removed to Somerville, and was engaged in that enterprise in connection with keeping a general store till 1851. He then disposed of his manufactory, and continued to run the store till 1870, when he came to Willimantic and engaged in the flour and feed business, under the firm name of A. Arnold & Co. He is president of the W. G. & A. R. Morrison Co., president of the Board of Trade, vice-president of the First National Bank, and director of the Dime Savings Bank. He married for his second wife, Maria, daughter of Horace Chapman, and has two children-Willie and Louie. He represented the town of Somers in the legislature in 1857, and the town of Windham in 1876. The Backus Family.-The common ancestor of the Norwich and Windham families of this name was William Backus of Saybrook, who removed to Norwich in 1660. His children were William and Stephen. The former, who was known as Lieutenant William, was one of the original proprietors of Windham. He married Elizabeth Pratt, and had the following family: William, John, Sarah (who married Edward Culver), Samuel, Joseph and Nathaniel. William, the...

Read More

Woodstock Connecticut Biographies

Onsite Biographies Biography of Charles Hathaway Brown Biography of Henry Newton Brown Biography of Hiram N. Brown Offsite Biographies  Ebenezer Bishop  Abel Child  Ezra Dean  Marquis Green  William Lyon, 4th  John McClellan  Charles Harris May  Joseph M. Morse  Nathan E. Morse  Oliver H. Perry   Back to: Woodstock, Windham County, Connecticut History Back to: Windham County, Connecticut...

Read More

Woodstock, Windham County, Connecticut History

The northwest corner of Windham county is occupied by the ample territory of Woodstock, eight miles by seven and a half in extent, comprising an area of nearly sixty square miles. It is the largest town in the county and retains, with least change, its- original limits, its only loss occurring from a slight removal of its northern boundary. Woodstock ranks high among the farming towns of the state. Its soil is excellent, and the dearth of manufacturing privileges has helped to develop agricultural interests. A micaceous formation (gneiss), extending from Pomfret to its junction with a western branch of the same near Muddy brook, in the north of the town, furnishes a soil capable of great improvement. It is characterized by .a series of smoothly rounded, detached hills, in which the rock is usually covered. Rocky ledges in other parts of the town have impeded cultivation, leaving extensive forest tracts, making the lumber interest of permanent value. A granitic formation in the south of the town is well adapted for quarrying, having furnished hearth stones and building material to succeeding generations since the first settlement of the town. The west of the town is favored with a large deposit of bog iron ore, especially in the neighborhood of Black pond, where it is said a single pit yielded a hundred and fifty tons of ore. Mineral springs, near...

Read More

Windham, Windham County, Connecticut History

The town of Windham, one of the smallest in geographical size, but the largest in population, wealth and business importance, occupies the extreme southwest corner of Wind ham county. Its area is about two and three-fourths square miles. The beautiful valley of the Willimantic river extends along the southern part, entering at the extreme western point and leaving at the southeastern corner. This river affords abundant water power for many factories, and to this circumstance is due the building up and prosperity of the town. The Natchaug, a considerable stream, joins it a short distance east of the borough limits of Willimantic. Back from the river the town is broken into successive ridges of hills, rising about two hundred feet above the general level of the intervening valleys. Besides the borough of Willimantic, in the southwest part, the smaller villages of North Windham in the northern part, South Windham in the southern part and Windham in the central part, are in this town. Otherwise the surface of the town is mostly covered with forest growth which affords some valuable timber. The agricultural interests of the town are not prominent. The New York & New England railroad extends through the western and northern parts and the Providence Division and the New London Northern run along the Willimantic valley in the southern part. The geographical size of the original town of...

Read More

Thompson Connecticut Biographies

Samuel Adams was born in 1832, in Dudley, Mass., and is a son of Oliver Adams. He came to Wilsonville in 1857 and bought the mercantile business of D. A. Upham, and has continued the same since that time. In 1888 he enlarged the store, and increased the business. He has been postmaster since June, 1881. He was married in August. 1853, to Almira F. Darby. They have three children: Irene, Irving, and Carrie. He is a republican. Thomas J. Aldrich was born in 1829, in Rhode Island, and came from Rhode Island to Grosvenor Dale in 1873, where he began the manufacture of soft soap, and in 1876 he began the manufacture of a washing powder, which is mostly used in the factories. Under the style of T. J. Aldrich & Co. they still manufacture the washing powder, and also run a grist and saw mill, which they bought in 1853, known as the Sheldon Mill. He was married in 1853 to. Fannie E. Battey, and has seven children: Fannie, Ida, George A., Emma, Sarah M., Edith M., and Fred J. George A. is in business with his father. He was married in 1880 to Cora Emerson, and has one daughter. James R. Alton was born in 1854. He is a son of Thomas Orlando, grandson of John, and great-grandson of Thomas Alton. His mother was A. Jane,...

Read More

Willimantic Connecticut Biographies

Offsite Biographies  L. E. Baldwin  J. Dwight Chaffee  William C. Jillson  William Clitus Witter   Back to: Willimantic, Windham County, Connecticut History Back to: Windham County Connecticut Genealogy and History                     Back to: Windham County, Connecticut...

Read More

Subscribe to Connecticut Genealogy

Enter your email address to subscribe to this website and receive notifications of new posts by email.

AHGP Affiliation

AHGP Logo

Connecticut County Genealogy