At Williamsville on the Quinebaug, in the western border of the town, is a factory village, the initial factory of which was erected by Caleb Williams in 1827. That first mill was what is now the north wing of the mill, in size 144 by 44 feet and four stories high. After Williams the mill was owned by S. & W. Foster. In 1849 they formed a corporation composed of Samuel and William Foster and John Atwood. The company has remained to the present time, except that some of the ownership has passed to the heirs of individual owners. The original Samuel Foster, however, is still the president and treasurer of the company. H. C. Atwood is now secretary and assistant treasurer. The present main building is 417 feet long by 49 feet wide and four stories high. Of the length of the building 165 feet was built in 1860, and the remaining 252 feet length was built in 1876. The entire building, old and new, is of stone. It contains 600 looms and 23,000 spindles. Cotton shirtings are manufactured. Water is used, and four steam boilers stand ready to do the work when the four water wheels fail to furnish power sufficient. H. C. Atwood is the superintendent of the works. The village which surrounds the mill belongs to the company. There are 105 tenements. A building for school and church has been built by the company for the village. A school is kept by the district in the basement, and the upper room is used for a church. The building was erected about 1868.
A Congregational church was organized here June 4th, 1883, with about thirty members. The first minister serving as pastor was Reverend E. S. Huntress, who served the church up to February, 1884. He was followed by Reverend A. C. Hurd, who came in May, 1884, and stayed till October, 1885. Reverend O. D. Hine began his ministry in December, 1885, and remains to the present time. The church has at present about thirty-five members. The Sunday school in connection with it numbers about sixty.
Source: History of Windham County, Connecticut, Bayles, Richard M.; New York: W.W. Preston, 1889